Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

You know, sometimes I just get scared........

Sometimes I let my emotions and my fears bubble up like a thick, foul tasting goo...and I get scared. Scared because of gas prices (currently $3.70 here, up 15 cents in 3 days!), I wonder what fuel oil is going to go for this winter (last year, my monthly budget was $300 a month!) and what will a bale of hay go for this summer? I've heard everything from $2.50 - $4.00 a bale.

It seems like everything is collapsing, going toes up. Prices up, my salary not so much. My grocery bill is up. I've consolidated my errands into one trip per week. We've cut back from driving anywhere unnecessary.

And then, I came across this article on Legacy:

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSL2992875220080429

DMC has filed for credit protection. What will we do without DMC?

I shudder to think..........

4 comments:

Danielle said...

I read the article and it seems this is not DMC Corporation, the floss company, but some sports company? Let's hope!

Carol said...

I am in the same boat with you Joanie, but I can definitely calm your nerves about DMC. Too much chatter by those who do not know caused panic. They emailed a press release yesterday to everyone registered on their site. Danielle is correct - one facet of their business is filing bankruptcy, but they are assuring us that their craft division is just fine and they hope to be here for us for many years to come :-) I will email you the press release from home, as I am at the office right now.

Jeanne said...

They are closing their plant in France, articles which can be found in French newspapers online. I suspect they are moving production offshore to Asia where labor etc is cheaper. Most likely we'll still have DMC but it will not be made in France as it has traditionally. How many times have we seen this same story in our own country where "made in the USA" is becoming harder to find all the time? I'm like you Joanie - I worry where things are headed. This is just one more piece in the puzzle.

Alexounette78 said...

Yess the word verification are reappearing for me!!! Me too I'm sacred!! The french medias are always saying that everything goes wrong. I sign the petition for dmc. I hope you're fine. This afternoon I go to bury a friend and tomorrow I go to meet a stitcher known thanks to my blog.
With all my love and friendship
Alexa