Search This Blog

Saturday, February 02, 2008

It's Groundhog Day!!!

And the little rodent saw his shadow so it's 6 more weeks of Winter. Yay...I mean blech...blech, blech, blech. Cold, grey...... Can you tell I am ready for Spring? I have to confess, this is not my time of the year. February may be the shortest month of the year (and there's an extra day in the month this year, joy of joys) but for me, it's the LONGEST month. It just drags and drags.

A lot has gone on during the time since my last post, I'll try to catch you all up. I have been stitching. Yes, at least an hour a day and sometime longer. I've been working on Sarah Tatum almost everyday. She's progressing, I'd say I am about a 1/4 done with her. I started her WAY back in the beginning of time with Vicki Clayton silks. It's been so long, long enough for Vicki to discontinue some of the original silk colors and change the color formulations on some of the other colors. I found that out the hard way when I realized I was running low on some of the silks. Fortunately, these are Quaker motifs and as long as I finish the motif that I am working on with the older color then I can begin the next motif of the same color with the newer version. It doesn't look bad, I just had to get over the fact that the colors would be slightly different, either a little lighter or brighter. It was a struggle as I am pretty anal when it comes to things like that. My perfectionism kicks in and I really had to fight the urge to box her up and put her into the permanent UFO bin. Fortunately, the David convinced me that no one would know that I had switched color vintages midstream and besides it's a repro and I am stitching it on VINTAGE Lakeside linen so it's supposed to look old and faded in spots. Uncle, I cried! He was right! So, I am continuing and I am happy with the results so far.

The floss dilemma reared it's ugly head with Time and Seasons but to a lesser degree. Some of the replacement colors for the old colors of the same name were not anywhere near what the original colors looked like. But it really only matters for the border and fortunately, I believe I have enough of the orignal silks to stitch the borders. And once again, I chose the antique colorway for this sampler so if the colors in the interior of the sampler are different then it will only add to the illusion of fading and age.

Tonight, I picked up my Stitcher's Wallet. I am almost done with the fourth panel now. Three quarters of the way done! Wahoo! It was nice working with coarser thread tonight and stitching letters was quite soothing.

I have received a few exchanges too, I am sorry that I cannot post pictures. My camera is just about dead. I received my snowman exchange and I received my Grateful Heart exchange from Linda in Iceland too. She will be glad to know that it finally made it to me. She stitched a lovely heart design with deep red thread on dark green linen which she made into a fabulous pinkeep. She also included some cool fabrics and a heart pattern from Jeriamiah's Junction. Thanks! And I received a little Christmas ornament from Wendy. Thank you, too!

With Market around the corner, the only thing that's pulling me to purchase is the new Loose Feather's design.



I really like that little sampler and I am looking forward to stitching it. I signed up for the *club* from Needlecraft Corner to get the mystery sampler at the end. I probably will sub out the fabric as I an not thrilled that it's on 30ct linen. I've been working on 36 count linen for awhile and stitching on 30 count will feel like I am dropping my needle into a hole. Plus, I'd have to use 2 strands of floss and that means railroading. Not in the best frame of mind to railroad. I don't have the patience right now.

I know that everyone is going crazy over Shores of HawkeRun Hollow but for me, it just doesn't float my boat...ha, ha. I thought the same about Houses of HawkeRun Hollow too and I ended up purchasing it and the supplies too because after I saw it stitched up, I fell in love with it. Maybe that will happen with Shores.

On the house front, Mr. Contractor may be in Vegas. I am working on trying to find our siding that we purchased. I know that he bought all of it and it's in storage SOMEWHERE. Our lawyer is trying to track it down.

Work is insanely busy. That's about all I'll say about it. I think that my appraisal is coming up soon and I am a little apprehensive. I don't know why, there is no rational reason to be nervous but I heard a few things from other people about the bar being raised and the appraisal process has gotten tougher.

The Cadet and the lovely Jenna are well, although she is driving the Cadet a little crazy because she is in school 2 hours away from him and she misses him to the point of distraction. She gets very depressed when she is not with him. The Cadet made the dean's list last semester and all in all life is good for him. He found a part-time job at Dunkin Donuts to supplement his ROTC stipend so that's good cause it keeps him in gas and his semester schedule isn't too tough.

Well, I probably will edit this post later...hopefully with pictures. Hang in there, maybe if there is sufficient light, the light meter in the camera will work and I will be able to get a picture of the lovely exchanges that I've been blessed with.

Oh, and as far as the Superbowl goes, I am cheering for Eli Manning and the Giants. I know, they are the underdogs but I am living in New York. This will be the first time in 2 years where I will actually watch the game AND the commercials.

Go Giants!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm cheering for the Giants too, tomorrow, even though I am a die hard Cowboys fan. I just don't want to see the Patriots win. I don't think I could stand it.

Katrina said...

Go Giants, I am actually a colts fan but since Peyton's little brother is the QB for the Giants I can root for them ;-).

I love the BBD Loose Feathers. I like the change of working on 30ct sometimes.

Nancy said...

I know what you mean about the different color silks! I don't think you'll see a huge difference on that piece. Glad to hear all is well. Good luck findng the siding. I love the new Blackbird, too. But the Shores just doesn't flow LOL!
Nancy

Litla Skvís said...

I am so glad that the exchange made it. I will post pictures of it on my blog.
Sorry for the late reply, I have been in the process of changing jobs and it doesn't leave much free time, working two jobs and then having kids and a home to take care of. But I will survive, I think! LOL!