Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Biting off more than I can chew

I am still plugging along on my exchanges. I appreciate Leena and Nancy who are being very patient while I finish up their pieces and take care of everything else in my life. It's been quite a ride these last few months. I feel very bad that I got behind and I am worried about my stitching *reputation*. So to those stitchers, please accept my apologies and please realize that this has been one of the worst times of my life. I miss my Dad very much and there are days when I just go through the motions.

I've been thinking of my stitching goals for next year. Around this time of the year, I take a peek at my goals and accomplishments. I have to say, I am not really good at planning my stitching, I tend to go with the flow of things. I do a great deal of planning at work so I have a tendency not to *plan* things outside of work. It's not to say that I don't make lists or try to set goals but stitching is supposed to be relaxing and not work, right? So now, with all the obligation stitching, I am up to my neck in lists and goals and plans. It's a necessity for me to do that to stay on top of it all but I am not enjoying stitching right now. I am feeling a lot of pressure and that is sapping my the joy of stitching *lovelies* for my stitching pals.

So here is a listing of my stitching musings....tell me what you think.

1. I listed all my WIPS, I have 28! YIKES!!!!! I didn't think that I had THAT many! So one of my new goals will be to finish 2 of them that are closest to being finished. That would be Drawn Thread's Welcome Spot and Real Roses. Both of them only have about 8 hours of stitching to complete. I got hung up with the roof on the house on Welcome Spot and I wanted to make the boy into a man on Real Roses to represent our family.
2. Then I will pick out one that's not as far along and work on it. I would like to work on either Carriagehouse Samplings, Wild Roses, or Moira Blackburn's Time and Seasons.
3. I want to start Sarah Tatum on December 31st, I always start a new piece on New Year's Eve.
4. I want to also do a couple of small pieces.
5. I also need to limit my obligation stitching. I love the exchanges but I also have a ton of stash (and I recently acquired MORE!!!) so I need to concentrate on stitching it.
6. I have plans for *sampler walls*. I would like to have a Quaker wall, a wall of reproduction samplers with houses, a wall of samplers with biblical verses, a wall of the Chester County samplers and a wall of french alphabet samplers in red or black.

I didn't do well with accomplishments this year, I finished a few things but not as much as I would have liked to finish. I framed Drawn Thread's Happy Halloween and Bent Creek's Blackbird Sampler. But I've also decided that stitching is not a *goal oriented* activity so I'm not going to obsess over not completing as much as I would have liked to complete.

1 comment:

KarenV said...

{{{{{Joanie}}}}} I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time at the moment - hang in there. I'm sure people will understand if you're a little late with things, after everything that's happened. Feel free to email me if you need to chat anytime.

I totally understand where you're coming from on the goals thing. This is exactly what happened to me a month or so ago, along with having too many exchange deadlines at the same time and I felt very stressed about my stitching. I ditched the goals, got caught up on my exchanges and now I'm focusing on Catherine Agnes and I'm loving my stitching again. I think you'll feel a lot better when some of the obligation stuff is out of the way as well.

I think it's a good idea for you to focus on one or two WIPs to get them finished up, because then you'll feel like you've accomplished something. Could you post your current progress on the 2 DT pieces so that we can cheer you on? I'm planning to stitch CA until I finish her and then alternate stitching on my existing bigger WIPs with stitching smaller pieces. That way, I get some new starts but I also get through the existing stuff too. I also agree with the exchanges thing - I enjoy doing them but I'm definitely going to spread them out next year, so that I don't have too many at one time.

I think you're on the right track - stitching is supposed to be fun and if the goals make it too much like work, just ditch them! :)