Search This Blog

Saturday, February 11, 2006

I was temporarily insane!

I value everyone's input into my *dream rotation*. I really was temporarily insane. It was from a bout of stash fondling, there are so many things that called to me. In the process of pawing through my stash, I got that feeling of guilt, all the $$$ spent and these patterns are languishing in binders waiting for needle and thread to come to life. Reading all your blogs doesn't help either! LOL!!! I see how many wonderful things that you all work on and I get caught up in the excitement of everyone's beautiful stitching.

But I will only keep the small amount of projects going at once. Looking back, I realize that a lot of projects really make me nervous. It's because I do suffer from *completion anxiety*. The thought of that many things in my stitching basket make me want to break out in hives! Also, since I am a *screamer*, stitching only on the things that are calling the loudest, I don't need to become a *guilty screamer*, stitching on those things that make me feel the guiltiest. Then stitching would just be a chore. And since work is slow, I have plenty to think about and wish that I was spending *work time* stitching. It's a death spiral that ended up in my bout of temporary insanity.

What I decided to do was to pull those patterns that are on my *dream rotation* and put them into a binder. None are kitted so I don't have that burden on my back, you know, I spent the $$$ on supplies so I SHOULD start on them. Having all of them together in one spot and will allow me to choose from them when I can start a new project. All of these projects really make me happy so I will enjoy stitching on them.

Also, I took a look at some of my *active* WIPs and I was pleasantly surprised to see that some of them are within hours or days of completion. I should have a couple of happy dances in a few months!

Karen, I will be working on Welcome Spot. That's my next WIP after Hillside School of Needleworke which should be done in the next week. I won't be able to work on Welcome Spot until March though, cause I have the Lottery II piece to finish. And some basting to do on my mystery project. With your encouragement, I will finish it soon!

Karen, Nicki,Isabelle, Becky and Myrna, thanks for reminding me that this is my hobby and I should do what's best for me. I value your opinions and I am glad that you have grounded me in reality again. I love all of you!

7 comments:

Myrna said...

It's nice to see you have figured out how you want to do your projects...

I have great expectations and usually don't reach the goals I set for stitching, (Did you see that list I put up for this year???). But, I enjoy what I am stitching, or it goes back in the basket! (I've been stitching a project for my sister for five years! When it gets to me, it goes back in the basket!)

I'll be ready to do a Happy Dance whenever! Enjoy your stitching...

{{{Hugs}}}

Myrna :-)

Red said...

Yikes! That's a stash and a HALF! I still think it's better than a shoe stash or food stash...so you Go! Love your musings by the way.

Nicki said...

I'm glad you're happy with what you're doing :) If you've got some near completion you could start a new one if it calls loudly without feeling too pressured! Whatever works for you. I'm a bit of a 'screamer' too - and a serial starter I think! Oh well, it keeps me sane :) {{{hugs}}}

KarenV said...

I'm glad you've come to a decision that makes you happy Joanie :)

If you've got some nearing completion, you'll be able to start one or two of the new ones very soon, which will give you some new starts to look forward to without the guilt. {{{Hugs}}}

Lelia said...

Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into your stitching : ) IMO, sit back, sigh, and pick up your favorite piece ...

Cheers!

Cathy said...

Joanie, I sometimes set goals for myself too, but in the end, I stitch what I want to stitch - whichever project is calling me the loudest!

Patti said...

Thank goodness there isn't a pill for our kind of insanity! I like your dream rotation idea - might have to try that too!