Search This Blog

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Exciting news! And a question for my guests

First of all, my question. I am going to begin stitching a sampler from the Hungarian SAL. It's a beautiful piece that you can see on the Hungarian Sampler SAL blog:


I would like to stitch it as a memorial to my grandparents who immigrated from Hungary to the US in 1918. I would like to stitch it in the colors of the Hungarian flag so I am looking for anyone who can tell me what DMC or AVAS silks would match the green, red and white of the flag. Also, if anyone can translate the words, In Fond Rememberance or In Loving Rememberance from English to Hungarian, I'd be thrilled. I want to stitch this in silks so if anyone can give me the colors in AVAS that would be fabulous. I'll stitch it in DMC if I can't find the equivalent silks.

Exciting news from Chez Remodel! At long last we found a contractor who was willing to side the front of the house and the upper right side and replace 5 windows for us. Below are the pictures. We are so excited! The house doesn't look like a slum from the road now! We still have a long way to go, we won't be able to do much more until we save more money to continue but I think spending what was left of my inheritance to finish this little bit was well worth it.
Entire house close up:

Entire house with garage:

Window close up: The contractors finished the outside trim and please excuse the ladder in the window...LOL!!
We do have an issue with the windows, the manufacturer didn't put all the little buttons to mount the grilles in some of the windows so that's why there is no grilles in the upper right window. I contacted Pella and they will come out and fix them and any other windows that don't have the mounting hardware. Now, all we have to do is the interior work, we are going to do all the trim work ourselves because we didn't have the money to have the "Contractor-Who-Is-My-Hero" do it for us. David and I will work together to get it finished. It may take a little time but eventually the interior work will get done!

I do have stitchy pictures too, of Beatrix Potter and Where My Heart Blooms and I got a lovely gift from Alexa that I must show you. True to form the camera has died again so I must wait until it decides to resurrect itself to take more pictures.
Well, I just wanted to share my good fortune with all of you. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and thanks so much for dropping by! Please stop again soon!!

6 comments:

Casa Pearl said...

Whoo hoo! You get my vote for house beautiful! I love the color of the siding you chose and those windows are so gorgeous. And I love your new sampler project - it's very cool

Melissa said...

The Hungarian sampler looks like quite a challenge. The house looks gorgeous. Love the windows! We need to do that, but just haven't gotten around to it yet, that and the $$$.

Zsuzsa said...

Dear Joanie!
I am Zsuzsa, from Hungary. My blog:
www.szeretetvarazs.blogspot.com I helpig to "DEvai children"
I you want help us, I am very happy!
My e-mail: zsuzsa.gazso@gmail.com
I waiting your mail, and I send the invitatin to the blog ! Have a nice day! Zsuzsa

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

I am so, so happy that your home is finally getting someone to finish it up the way you want it! The windows are gorgeous Joanie :)
CONGRATS! It's a lovely home!

Nancy said...

The house looks great! I'm so glad you found a *Good* contractor....Nancy

Von said...

Hurray, Joanie!! Your home is looking so beautiful! :)