Search This Blog

Saturday, October 14, 2006

The Windmill - a great day!

Today my friend, Penny, and I drove an hour and a half to The Windmill in Penn Yan, NY. It's a Mennonite market and craft market. The crafts are pretty kitsch-y but we go for the fresh produce and baked goods. Nothing like homemade goodies, especially when they are baked by someone else!!! It was very overcast, windy and down right cold. We had periogies for lunch from the Periogie Princess' Periogie Palace and we sampled mustards and pickles and dips. I bought apples, a purple cauliflower, brussel sprouts, some spices and homemade noodles. Plus, Amish Butter cheese, yum, and a very nice Angus chuck roast that probably was home grown down the road. It was a nice day to get out and get some fresh air and lay in provisions for the winter. (David wasn't too impressed with my purchases, he hates cauliflower and won't go near a brussel sprout. He did perk up at the mention of the roast though.)

Then, Penny and I drove to the Quilt Barn. What a treat for the eyes. This lovely Mennonite woman makes these gorgeous quilts and wallhangings and they are all hand stitched. I swear, before I die, I am going to make a quilt. I must! I love everything about quilts, and every time I see a very well executed, and handcrafted quilt, I just want it! But, alas, these are quite pricey...the one that I wanted was about a grand.

So, it was a good day. Fresh air, a great friend, periogies and quilts...only thing that's going to make this day better is stitching, which I plan on doing right after dinner. Good times!

3 comments:

Karen said...

It sounds like a fun day. I've only been to a Mennonite market once a few years ago. I remember seeing some of the ladies handcrafts and they just amazed me.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

mmmmmm....I love brussel sprouts! Have you ever tried them by baking them on a cookie sheet with olive oil rosemary and thyme? Ahhh delicious! And I mean Yum-O just like Rachel Ray!
:o)

Von said...

I must admit that only recently have I come to appreciate those yummy brussel sprouts, but only fresh ones! Your day sounds just wonderful Joanie!